Before your arrival - Bilateral Agreements

  Step 1: Course catalogue, Learning Agreement, language certificate

Learning Agreement: enclosing the LA signed by you and your home institution in the application form is recommended. If the LA hasn’t been signed yet at the time of completing your online application, you must upload it in any case and at least Table A must be filled out with the list of course units you plan to attend in Padova (or the type of activity you plan to carry out, i.e. “research”, “traineeship”). Once the LA is signed you can send it by e-mail to, even after the application deadline. The Learning Agreement template is available below.

Language certificate: enclosing a language certificate in the application form is recommended; however certificates can be sent by e-mail to after the application deadline. The following documents are accepted: official language certificates (i.e. TOEFL, IELTS, Cambridge University, etc.), attendance certificates of intensive courses, certificates issued by University officers/professors attesting your language proficiency level, transcript of records including language exams results.

Language requirements: B1 English level for students attending course units held in English; A2 Italian level for students attending course units held in Italian.

Useful information:

  Step 2: Health Insurance

Extra-European students non-resident in the EU need a private insurance valid for the visa application, thus submitting a valid insurance card/policy/certificate through the application form is recommended. If you don’t have an insurance at the time of completing your application form, you can send it later by email to

A medical insurance for a Schengen visa must meet the following criteria:

  1. medical coverage of at least Euro 30.000
  2. coverage of emergency medical evacuation and repatriation of remains

The medical insurance for the Italian residence permit must meet the following criteria:

  • be valid for the whole mobility period (even if - for visa purposes - some Embassies/Consulates accept insurances covering only a short period)
  • provide evidence of a national office based in Italy to be contacted in case of emergency.

For Medicine and Surgery and Pharmacy students only: for immunisation records and blood examinations, please refer to the compulsory procedure available on the web page of the Erasmus Office at the School of Medicine and Surgery

  Step 3: Application

Filling out the Application form is mandatory.


  •     15 June for the first semester and the full academic year
  •     15 November for the second semester

Read carefully the instructions below and then fill out the form here 
(Click on the green box "Application form - Bilateral Agreements and Double Degree students'')

Mandatory documents to be uploaded through the online application:

  • Identity card OR passport
  • Learning Agreement
  • The most recent transcript of records 
  • Insurance card/policy/certificate
  • language certificate (not mandatory at this stage, only recommended. After the application deadline, certificates can also be sent by email to

In order to be admitted, all the above mentioned documents must be submitted before the beginning of the mobility period.

Double citizenship: if you have a second citizenship that allows you to enter Italy without a visa and to stay here without a residence permit (i.e.: an European citizenship), you should fill out all our forms using your extra-European personal data (surname, name, document data), mentioning also your second citizenship where requested and upload both the European and the extra-European passport.

Upon completion of “Step 3: Application procedure”, students should proceed to “Step 4: Accommodation”.

  Step 4: Accommodation

Halls of residence
Accommodation in the students’ halls of residence is provided by SASSA Service. All students are required to fill out an Accommodation form, even if they choose for private housing.
Accommodation form for incoming students

Private housing
All students can search for private accommodation on HousingAnywhere, an international housing platform for students, PhD candidates and trainees. Through HousingAnywhere they can safely book their new accommodation, offered by verified private landlords and by outgoing students. Rooms offered by outgoing students can be easily recognized thanks to the "Verified Student" VIP badge on their profile.
To receive an UniPd VIP profile and priority access to the listings:
For more information:

Students from the Lomonosow Moscow State University whose accommodation is paid by Unipd will be hosted in a private run college of Unipd's choice. They should nonetheless fill out the Accommodation form for enrolment purposes.

  Step 5: Non-EU students

Non-EU students resident outside EU must apply for a visa before arriving in Italy, by following the instructions provided by the Italian Ministry for Foreign Affairs. An electronic copy of the invitation letter will be sent by email to the address indicated by the student during the Registration process.

The Projects and Mobility Office - Mobility Unit will not send any original invitation letter by post: the Italian Embassy/Consulate will receive it directly from UniPD via legal e-mail. The transmission of digital documents via legal e-mail ("PEC - Posta Elettronica Certificata") between Italian public administrations is legally equivalent to the transmission of original documents, and it complies with the digitalisation process undertaken by the Italian public administration in the past years.
Invitation letters will only be sent after the reception of all the required Application documents.
In order to apply for a Schengen Visa, a health insurance is required. The criteria to be met by the insurance are described under the step "Health Insurance" (see above).

Non-EU students resident in the EU and holding a European residence permit may be exempted from the visa requirement.

  • If your European permit is valid throughout the whole period of stay in Italy, you do not need a visa to enter Italy, you will just have to inform the Police of your arrival in Padua. This procedure costs €16.00, it won't allow you to work and you won't be able to remain in Italy after you have graduated from Unipd.
  • If your European permit expires before the end of your stay in Italy and you won't renew it before coming to Padua, you will have to apply for an Italian visa in the EU country where you currently reside. With the visa, you will also have to apply for an Italian residence permit once you arrive in Italy: the cost is around €100.00 Euros and the study permit allows you to work part-time. The residence permit can be renewed until you graduate and after the graduation you can obtain another type of permit to stay in Italy up to one more year.

For both procedures a health insurance is required. The criteria to be met by the insurance are described under the step "Health Insurance" (see above).

  Step 6: The Buddy service

The Tutoring Office in cooperation with the International Relations Division provides a Buddy Service set up to support students under any exchange programme. All Buddies are students of the University of Padova enrolled in Master’s Degree courses. The task of a Buddy is to welcome exchange students, assist them during the registration and enrolment procedures. Buddies can be contacted by email or by telephone for any issue regarding the university life.

Extra-European students do not need to request a Buddy, they will be assigned one automatically.

Relevant procedures - Bilateral Agreements students

Bilateral Agreements (homepage)
Before your arrival
On your arrival
During your stay
At the end of your stay